Making the decision to follow your dream while there is still time involves CHANGE.
Most people believe that they don’t mind change, they even quite like it, but they don’t like being forced to change. Even so, it’s still hard to make it happen if you’ve been in the same routine for a long time.
Let me show you the Change Equation otherwise known as The Beckhard-Harris Change Model.
It goes like this D x V x F > R
D = DISSATISFACTION with the current state
V = VISION of how you would prefer things to be
F = FIRST STEPS you take to move to what you want
On a scale of 1 – 10 how dissatisfied are you with things now?
On a scale of 1 – 10 how clearly can you visualise having achieved what you want to achieve?
On a scale of 1 – 10 how committed are you to taking the first steps to achieve it?
Take these three figures and multiply them. Of course, if any of them are zero the answer is zero and will not be greater than R which is the RESISTANCE to the proposed change. D x V x F needs to be greater than R for the change to happen at all.
I think it is more difficult to score resistance. This model is used in business to help staff adapt to change but it is equally true of personal situations. Some factors causing resistance might be:
- Thinking you will upset those around you
- Scared to invest money in a new venture in case it doesn’t work out
- Scared to ‘put yourself out there’ and be judged in some way (like me publishing Judith want to be your friend)
- Believing you haven’t got the energy any more
- Believing you’re not clever or skilled enough
Only you know what might be holding you back.
So, is NOW the right time for YOU?
My new pared-back on-line programme will be coming out soon. It’s called Not Too Late at 58 – Is NOW the right time for YOU? and will be only £47.
It might be the best £47 you spend
– either to help you make the best decision to change
– or to stop you making a huge mistake by jumping straight in